Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Test Kitchen Tuesday: Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie


I hate to be the spoiler alert, but do you have any idea how many calories are in a piece of pecan pie? 
Almost 500! 
Seriously, I had no idea. 


 I mean when I think about it - it makes sense - a ton of sugar, corn syrup, butter, eggs, and nuts...
then there is the crust, and in this case the chocolate.


I have said before that my sweets- doesn’t like sweets, but I failed to mention that he does love Pecan Pie around the holidays. This year I made two; one for our Thanksgiving celebration,  and one to take pictures of that I shared at work.


Kody ate one piece, and I am pretty sure I just ate the equivalent of a whole pie! 


I will not think about the calories - I will not think about the calories, I am just going to run...see you in 10 miles:) 


For this test kitchen Tuesday, I found this awesome recipe - copied right from Jenna's blog Eat. Live. Run. I followed this recipe almost to the tee, but I used a graham cracker crust that I painted with melted chocolate before adding the filling. I must give a big shout out to Jenna, because it was amazing - thank you! 
makes 1 pie
Ingredients:
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups pecans, roughly chopped
1 cup corn syrup {light or dark}
1 cup brown sugar, packed
4 large eggs, slightly beaten
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup bourbon
2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 refrigerated or homemade pie crust, thawed (I used a graham cracker crust)
Directions:
Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
Spray a 9″ pie tin with nonstick spray. Drape your pie crust into your tin, letting it hang over the edges of the tin. Crimp the edges of the dough with your fingers then remove extra dough hanging over the side. Prick the bottom of the dough all over with a fork.
Scatter the roughly chopped pecans and semisweet chocolate chips over the bottom of the pie dough. Set aside.
In a small pot over medium heat, combine the corn syrup, brown sugar and bourbon. Bring to a boil, stir well, then remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
In a bowl, mix together the eggs, melted butter, vanilla and salt. SLOWLY drizzle hot syrup into the eggs, stirring continuously with a whisk while you drizzle. You must go very slow here or you risk cooking the eggs. Continue drizzling and whisking until the last of the syrup has been poured into the eggs. Pour this over the pecans and chocolate in the pie.
Carefully place pie in the oven and bake for 1 hour. Top should be puffy and crust should be golden. Let cool for 1 hour before serving.
Time:
active time ~ 15 minutes
total time ~ 2.5 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10