Sunday, September 22, 2013

Saturday Football Pizza and the Boys


My new super awesome work schedule has coincided with start of football season, a season that boast plentiful fun to be had by my Texan. I have personally never cared really one way or another about football, but this year it's all about to change. Having 5 brothers it as always been on in the background and for one year in high school I was a cheerleader and another a stats star. This all being said I have decided to fully embrace this season with a vengeance, meaning my kitchen is getting dirty and my Texan and crew are getting fed.


This last Saturday was a big college game, Texas A&M versus their new found rival Alabama Crimson Tide. Now we are Longhorn fans I have just been told, but it was a big game none the less. The boys came over and I decided our first hosted party would be one of the pizza kind. Two pizzas, one for them and one for me. Naturally I ate both.


My pizza is a take on the famous BLT. This tomato season I can not get enough of this delicious fruit. I wait all year to gorge myself on salads, tarts, sandwiches, pastas, and of course pizza mixed with my favorite sandwich of all time the BLT. I was able to use the some of the cherry tomatoes from my driveway garden, arugula as my lettuce favorite, thick cut local bacon and good old fashioned homemade aioli.
For the boy's pizza I did a Mexican breakfast pizza. Much hardier then the BLT, Chipotle Sour Cream, Chorizo, Colby Jack, crispy potatoes, eggs and cilantro graced this gourmet gut bomb, by gut bomb I mean nap inducer.


I am pretty sure it is very easy to make your own pizza dough, but what is even easier is to buy it from your local grocer, and that is just what I did.  While the dough was rising I got my mise en plas in order. 


I had to crisp bacon, brown chorizo, whip up two sauces, cut cherry tomatoes, rinse arugula


"fry"potatoes, grate cheese, crack eggs, chop cilantro and of course get my mimosa in hand.

Potato trick: Use your waffle iron, close the lid and almost forget about them.

I par-baked the breakfast pizza crust and the BLT I took it all the way to a nice golden brown.





This Chipotle Sour Cream sauce is packed with flavor and as easy as it gets. I just love the flavor of Embasa chipotle peppers, and here I just take the juices from the can, a dollop of Daisy(yes I totally just said that), a 1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin, the zest and juice of a lime and pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well and your set. Layer your pizza with the chipotle sauce, cheese, chorizo, potatoes, then carefully top with cracked eggs. Bake at 450 until the white of the egg gets solid and the cheese melts. About 15 minutes. Then add chopped cilantro, I like a rough chop.


Making aioli is easy, I like to use a two yolk recipe that is super rich. Once you get the base down the sky is your limit. For this pizza I keep it simple with just a bit more garlic than usual. 



While the breakfast pizza is baking away I assemble the BLT pizza. 


A nice thick layer of garlic aioli, plenty of peppery arugula, crispy bacon bits, quartered cherry tomatoes and a nice dusting of salt and pepper. So easy and so delicious.


Let's just say the pizzas were a big hit, too bad both Texas teams lost. Luckily I napped through the despair.


No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10