Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Scratch Caesar



The caesar dressing that just happened. Usually when I embark on making something new, I check the web, look at blogs and recipes, gather my inspiration, and go. Nope, not this time, I just went for it. How, have I not made a scratch caesar dressing before? I have no idea, not only is it super easy - its super delicious.


From my local market, I found these beautiful lemon and oil packed Turkish anchovies, a necessity for any caesar dressing. I minced 3 whole filets as fine as could, combined with a dollop of dijon mustard, one egg yolk, and a dash each of salt and pepper. 


Creating an emulsification, like you do with an aioli, I slowly whisked in olive oil - to a paste like consistency. 




Now - add in fresh lemon juice, champagne vinegar, parmesan cheese, and roasted garlic. 

Kitchen tip for roasted garlic: Take a whole bulb of garlic and slice the top off, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wrap tightly in parchment paper or tin foil, then bake at 350ยบ for about an hour. The cloves will be super soft, easily extracted, and very flavorful. 

For this dressing, I take 4 cloves and smear them together with the back of my knife, creating a thick paste. 


Taste. Taste. Taste. Adjust. Taste. Taste. Taste. You get the point.



Combine with the classic ingredients, or use your own. For my salad: I used a mix of mesclun greens, winter greens, cherry tomatoes, marcona almonds, and castelvetrano olives. Toss with this scratch caesar dressing, and serve. Viola! One damn good salad. 

Caesar Dressing

  •     3 minced anchovy filets
  •    4 roasted garlic cloves
  •    1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
  •    1 teaspoon dijon mustard
  •    1 egg yolk
  •    1/2 cup olive oil
  •    1 1/2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
  •    1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice 
  •    zest of 1/2 a lemon
  •    salt and pepper to taste
  1. Starting by emulsifying egg yolk, mustard, minced anchovies, S&P
  2. Slowly add in olive oil to create a paste 
  3. Fold in cheese and roasted garlic
  4. Whisk in vinegar, lemon juice and zest to thin
  5. Taste for balance: if tart, add in more oil
  6. Adjust S&P to your liking
My Notes: I just realized that I didn't use one classic ingredient - Worcestershire Sauce. I guess, this is what happens when you wing it:) The next time I make this caesar dressing, I will add it, and edit this recipe. 










No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10