Friday, October 11, 2013

The Oregon Coast & Sunday Supper: Roast Chicken...then Stock




Saturday was epic: we headed to Cannon Beach with a few of our friends to take advantage of the amazing weather - 61 and clear - almost unheard of at the coast.  Here in the Pacific Northwest during the month of October, you're hard-pressed to find a ray of sunshine or an empty beach. It was absolutely breathtaking. We stayed on the hidden bluffs overlooking a private beach with trail access to the sandy shore where I skipped in the sand like I was 10 years old. I experienced so many zen moments followed by utter joy that I practically cried at the beauty of it all. Yes, there is a small hippie living in a corner of my soul. After a glorious sunset and a delicious family dinner, we shared whiskey-laced stories under a star-studded sky 'round a blazing fire - a perfect evening and one to remember always. 



When Sunday afternoon came along, it took every ounce of responsibility to get  in the car and return home. I had invited friends over for Sunday Supper, and in the rushed excitement of it all, I hadn’t completed my menu. I knew I that I would make the Roasted Vegetable and Blue Cheese salad from the Food 52 contest, and for my protein something simple and easy.  Without time on my side, and the pressure to impress our guests; one of which being my new boss and a chef -  I plucked a dinner straight from my Mom’s classics: baked chicken. My mother loved chicken and we would have chicken in some form or another for dinner at least twice a week; her simple baked chicken was always my favorite. Crispy skin and dark meat- 'nuff said. 


Mom kept it classic with dried oregano, salt and pepper. To put my own spin on it, I roasted two whole birds stuffed with the Washington gala apples that I bought at a vegetable stand along the drive home. I also threw in orange wedges, fresh thyme and rosemary from the garden. On the outside, I rubbed the skin with olive oil, herb salt, smoked paprika, cracked pepper and my new favorite spice: cumin.  My mother, I am sure, was smiling down from heaven at my accomplishment; she and I shared so many memories in the kitchen that it is through cooking I continue to feel close with her all these years later.


By everyone’s 2nd glass of wine we were seated at the table.  My new boss, Erika, in charge of the starter, made a secret recipe potato soup that she garnished with charred Brussels sprouts, autumn pepitas and goat cheese. The chicken was the star of the meal with its crispy skin and moist meat that maintained a complexity of flavors, but loaned itself to the perfect simple Sunday supper. We finished our meal with Erika’s pumpkin and chocolate mousse, and I got to relax as the boys cleaned the kitchen. 


Roast Chicken

2 Birds
1 Apple
1 Orange 
1 bunch Thyme
3 large sprigs Rosemary
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons Herb Salt
1 Tablespoon cracked Pepper
1 Tablespoon Smoked Paprika
1 Tablespoon ground Cumin
 3 inches Butcher’s Twine

  1. Preheat oven to 350F
  2. Cut the apple and orange into 8 wedges each
  3. Take 4 wedges of each and stuff in the cavity of the bird with 1/3 each of the herbs
  4. Rub down the bird with the olive oil and massage the salt and spices evenly between the 2
  5. Tuck the wings and tie the legs
  6. Split the remaining herbs into 2 plies on a roasting pan
  7. Place birds on top of herbs and roast away in the oven
  8. Baste juices over the skin every 20 minutes
  9. Read temperature after 60 minutes and pull at 160F
  10. Rest for 15 minutes to lock juices then carve and serve

One of the greatest parts about roasting a whole bird is using the carcass for stock; homemade stock is simple to make, and by far, better than anything store bought. I saved some of the apples and all the herbs, mixing it with a classic mirepoix and a few bay leaves. Not only does the house smell lovely for hours after, you have the best base for all your soups, sides, sauces...whatever your choose. You can build upon a classic stock with almost anything, just be careful of bitter flavor components; like winter greens or citrus rind.  Use what you need, freeze the rest and continue to enjoy. 



Chicken Stock

2 Chicken Carcasses
1 teaspoon Butter
1 large Yellow Onion- rough chop
2 large Carrots- rough chop
2 large stalks of Celery- rough chop
3 Bay Leaves
Parsley
Thyme
Peppercorns
1 Quart Water
*Roasted Apples and Rosemary

  1. Sweat the mirepoix with butter
  2. Add in herbs and peppercorns to bloom
  3. Add in chicken carcasses
  4. Top with water
  5. Bring to a boil
  6. Reduce heat to a simmer
  7. Cook for at least 1 hour, I like 2
  8. Strain Stock- Using a colander and a med fine strainer stacked, then through a fine strainer for all the tiny bits
  9. Cool and skim fat
  10. Portion for later use and freeze if necessary

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10