Sunday, October 27, 2013

Sunday Supper: Pot Roast


Sunday Suppers... a childhood memory... an adult obsession. As the leaves turn colors, and the days get crisp, it's time for a pot roast. Growing up in my family, and perhaps yours, we had a roast on the regular in these cooler months - pork - beef - lamb; whatever Mom could get her hands on. As a child, you couldn't get me out of the kitchen... somethings never change... as the aromas fill my home, I am instantly transported back in time.



For a tender and juicy roast, I like to use a pork butt; the marbled fat is just perfect. The vegetables are just as important, but you can really play with what you like. There is the classic mirepoix, but feel free to add other root vegetables like parsnips or leeks, omit celery if you don’t like it (as I did here), add tomato paste if you want it (I didn’t in this recipe).


When braising,  you are following a simple equation: season and sear your meat, caramelize your vegetables, deglaze with wine, add stock, and finally forget about it - for about 4 hours. All equaling one very delicious meal. 


One of the most important steps is searing the meat; this is what will lock in the juices and provide one hell of a roast - often referred to as the Maillard reaction. The second, is deglazing the pan. I like to use wine, others prefer stock (I don’t personally know these people). By deglazing the pan, you get all the brown bits from the meat, that special seasoning. 


Once you have browned the meat, combine it with the caramelized vegetables, pour over the deglazed wine, and fill with stock - about a third of the way up the meat. 


Soon, the juices will start to come together from all the components, leaving a liquid that is divine. Seriously, I could NOT stop “tasting” it. Make sure to let the roast rest before you tear in to it. I like to take the carrots out - to serve on the side, and I make a sauce with the remaining goodness. Pair with your favorite sides and wine, enjoy! 


Pot Roast

for the meat

  • 2 pounds pork butt
  • 11/2 teaspoon bacon fat 
  • 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
  • salt and pepper


for the vegetables

  • 11/2 teaspoon bacon fat or butter
  • 1 large onion
  • 2 carrots
  • 2 tablespoons dried Italian herbs


for the braise

  • 1 cup red wine
  • 2 pints stock I used homemade chicken I had in the freezer
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup my secret ingredient

for the process

I like to start with an almost room temperature cut of meat, I will take it out the fridge about 30 minutes before I am ready to sear. I was taught by an old chef of mine to do this, he said "you don't want to shock the meat". Is this science, is this a proven method? I have no idea, but it works for me. 

Dice and slice your vegetables. In a dutch oven, cook them down with the dried herbs and fat.
If your using a crockpot: do this step in a sauté pan, then transfer to your crockpot.

On medium high heat, prepare the cast iron pan for searing. When hot, add the bacon fat. Don't have bacon fat? Shame on you... use what you have - coconut and peanut oil have a higher smoking point.

While that is happening, I rub the the meat with the smoked paprika, pepper, and salt. Be careful with the salt here, it will intensify as the roast cooks all day.  

Sear the meat on all sides. Add the meat to the vegetables. They should be getting nice and soft by now. 

Deglaze the pan with wine, to an au sec. Add the stock here. Get it nice and hot, transfer liquid to your meat and vegetables. Be careful of the volume here, just a third of the way up to the meat. 

Cover and bake at 275º

Pour yourself a glass of wine and pat yourself on the back; this meal is about to be amazing.

In two hours, add the maple syrup - turn the meat over.

In two more, it's time to get ready for dinner. Don't forget to rest the meat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10